Lilian Steiner is a Melbourne-based dancer and choreographer. Her practice utilises the inherent intelligence of the active body as the primary tool for creating wholly encompassing visual, sonic and kinaesthetic experiences. Her work embraces the power of ephemerality within energetic exchange through emphasising the presence of weight and density within the sculptural nature of sound, the body’s form and light as colour.
Lilian’s major choreographic projects include The Call to Connect - Voyager Recordings (Lucy Guerin Inc.’s Pieces for Small Spaces, 2012), Meditation (Melbourne Now, NGV, 2014), Noise Quartet Meditation (The Substation, Melbourne Fringe Festival, 2014 and Dance Massive 2017), BUNKER (Melbourne Fringe Festival, 2015), Admission Into the Everyday Sublime (Next Wave Festival, 2016) and Metal Under Venus - The Fall of the Sun (Hong Kong ICAROS Residency, 2017).
As a performer, Lilian works across independent and company environments within both dance and the visual arts. Lilian has been a dancer with Lucy Guerin Inc. across many projects (Structure and Sadness, US. tour, 2011, and Weather, premiered Melbourne Festival, 2012, North American tour, 2013, Paris tour, 2015, Motion Picture, premiered Dance Massive 2015, The Dark Chorus, premiered Melbourne Festival 2016 and Split, premiering Dance Massive 2017. Amongst others she has worked with choreographers Phillip Adams’ Balletlab (Above, MONA FOMA, 2011, EVER - premiering Melbourne Festival 2017), Melanie Lane (Nightdance, Artshouse 2017), Shelley Lasica (The Design Plot, RMIT Design Hub & Gertrude Glasshouse 2017) and Rennie McDougall (SUPERTONE, Next Wave Festival, 2012), visual artists Ash Keating (Continuum: Parts 1 & 2, 2013/14), Brook Andrew (Smudge development, RMIT Design Hub, 2015), Mikala Dwyer (Goldene Bend'er, ACCA, 2013) and Alicia Frankovic (Defending Plural Experiences, Framed Movements, ACCA, 2014), performance art group Public Movement (Training Ground, ACCA in the City, 2015) and architect Matthew Bird (Studio Bird) (Sarcophagus, Venice Biennale 2016).
- 2015 Green Room Award for 'Concept and Realisation' for Noise Quartet Meditation
- 2017 Green Room Award for 'Female Dancer' in Lucy Guerin Inc.'s The Dark Chorus
- 2017 Helpmann Award for 'Female Dancer' in Lucy Guerin Inc.'s Split
- 2018 Green Room Award nomination for 'Female Dancer' for Year's Work
- 2016 Green Room Award nomination for 'Design' for BUNKER
- 2016 Green Room Award nomination for 'Female Dancer' for body of work (Lucy Guerin Inc.'s Motion Picture and BUNKER)
- 2015 Green Room Award nomination for the 'Shirley McKechnie Award for Choreography' for Noise Quartet Meditation
- 2013 Green Room Award nomination for 'Female Dancer' for Rennie McDougall's SUPERTONE